Saturday 1 June 2013

Treating my hair before braiding...

So I currently have cornrows in my hair...well just at the front anyway. The back is thick singles. I did these last week and don't intend on keeping this style for too long. Will try push it to three weeks, but I may take them out next week depending on how neat it looks...

Anywho, before I cornrowed I did a protein treatment with one of my favorite products. I first knew about it about four years ago when Ateeyaa of YouTube did videos of how it helped her hair.
I have the Aphogee Two Minute protein treatment.

                                                (There's all my Aphogee stuff to the left)

I began by co-washing my hair with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. I then applied to Aphogee to my hair in sections. I kinda like the way it smells :) I made sure to get it evenly on my hair. Which is a feat when you have dense natural hair like mine. I made sure I got a fair amount on my ends as I am trying to keep them strong and healthy. The instructions say to keep it in for two minutes then rinse out thoroughly but I'm a G! I kept it in for 5 minutes y'all! Lol!

I followed this up with a Joico moisturising deep conditioner. Always follow up a protein treatment with a moisturising treatment to inject moisture back into your hair.
 The result? My hair was instantly stronger and the shedding was greatly reduced.
I normally use. Light protein treatment but Aphogee is my go to when I need a little more hair strength. Luckily I have two bottles that I stocked up when I last visited my family in London.
There are other brands that do protein treatments and I will keep a look out for which are readily available here in South Africa.
But if you can't wait that long, you have something that will do the job sitting in your kitchen right now( I think) ...good old eggs! Whip one egg and a teaspoon of olive oil and voila! You have a protein treatment. Bear in mind not to use hot water when rinsing this out or you will be scrambling eggs in your hair....


No comments:

Post a Comment