Saturday 8 June 2013

How to shampoo and condition your hair...

So I did a wash and go today...well actually I started yesterday! I had shampooed my hair with a shampoo that my cousin left behind. its by Suave, its targetted at kids...thats right, Dora the Explorer is rught thurr on the front, whaaaat! lol! It smells yum! I mixed this with a teaspoon of olive oil to stop it from completely drying my hair and scalp. I then did an Aphogee 2 Minute treatment to strengthen my hair. I took care to apply it in sections.
I took a mixture of coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, shea butter and castor oil. I warmed this up and applied to my hair and massaged into my scalp. I put a shower cap on and went to bed.
This morning I rinsed out the oil ( if you find your hair is oily then use a little shampoo to help get it out).
This is a routine I have been doing for over three years now. I tweaked my process though, to help my products work better for me.
One important point to remember is that shampoo is for the scalp, and conditioner is for your hair.
What this means is that we use shampoo to help us cleanse our scalps and dislodge any buildup of dirt and products. Shampoos are harsher than conditioners and can strip your hair of even your natural oils.
Even top hairdressers recommend that when you shampoo your hair don't scrunch up your hair and haphazardly spread making lots of lather like they do in adverts. Rather only apply shampoo to the scalp and first one or two inches of your hair. When you rinse the shampoo, it will run over the rest of  the length of your hair and clean it.
In fact, a lot of women now pre-poo their hair. Meaning they apply oil or conditioner to the hair before shampooing to protect it from the shampoo. Your hair should not be squeaky clean.

Once you have thoroughly rinsed out the shampoo, you may apply your chosen conditioner to the length of your hair. Concentrate on the ends of the hair and work your way down to close to the scalp. Try not to massage the conditioner into your scalp. This may lead to build up.
Your scalp naturally produces oils which keep your scalp moisturiser and happy. Build up of products such as conditioner, may impede the natural process of your scalp "breathing" and allowing sebum to moisturise your scalp.

Watch out for a post in future where I will discuss how to moisturise and seal your hair once you are done with shampoo and conditioning.....

Stay blessed!

3 comments:

  1. The lauric acid in coconut oil mill in chennai is able to penetrate the hair shaft, nourishing the hair with vitamins, minerals and the medium-chain fatty acids.If you’ve ever experimented with adding cold press coconut oil into your diet you will likely recognize this captivating experience, as well as the sense of sustained energy, balance and vitality that this versatile oil can bring it.“It is also rich in antioxidants, which boosts immunity.mara check oil also retains lauric acid, which has plenty of therapeutic benefits.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have beencastor oil for hair growth for long term which is very good to treat for acne.Want to have that long, shiny hair you see in shampoo commercials? Use coconut oil for skin regularly and you’ll love the results you’re bound to see.coconut oil doesn’t turn into fat. This is becausecoconut oil cold pressed contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCT), a body fuel that’s easy to burn without transforming to fat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is really helpful regarding all educational knowledge I earned. It covered a great area of subject which can assist a lot of needy people. Everything mentioned here is clear and very useful. we have introduced pure cold pressed castor oil who were suffering from hair and skin problem. Buy castor oil online

    ReplyDelete