Thursday 2 May 2013

Supplements


*Please consult your doctor before taking any supplements. Any advice given in this blog does not constitute for professional medical advice, and the effects of supplements differ from person to person. There may be interaction between any supplements and medication that is being taken*

So I am a supplement junkie. Lol! There was a time i was taking a handful every day. I decided to cut down and have my nutrients in food form where possible. E.g. i stopped taking Omega 3 oils in capsule form and decided to increase the amount of oily fish i eat in my diet.

I curently take 3 supplements a day:

1)      Skin, Hair and Nails: This is a one a day tablet that aims to improve the condition of your skin,hair and nails. I have consistently taken these over the last 8 years. I can't say I see a marked difference in my body. I have tried about 3 different brands at this stage. Why do I continue to take tham? Just in case im missing any nutrients from my current diet. I have never really had any real issues with my skin. I am a freckle faced gal with very smooth skin. I have never suffered from acne or any skin conditions. However earlier in the month I did notice my skin had a few tiny bumps. This may be a result of the MSM that I introduced to my routine...

2)      MSM ( Methyl-Sulfonyl-Methane (a natural form of sulfur): I started taking this at the beginning of April. The dosage I have is 1500mg. I got the Doctors Best brand which I got over the internet from the UK and had my Mum bring down for me. My first couple of days taking these were terrible. I had very bad stomach pains. I did a bit more research and found that some people did struggle with taking this supplement. I increased my water intake to help alleviate the side effects as well as to help with the distribution of this throughout my body. Upon further research I found that a lot of people who took MSM also took Vitamin C along with it to assist with the uptake of this into the cells of the body. As long as I take my MSM pills along with my Vitamin C and keep drinking about 2 litres of water daily, I have found this pill to be agreeable with my body. My nails had been damaged by a few rounds of gel manicures and were looking weak. They were in a very bad state. At this stage, a month into taking MSM, my nails have grown and are much stronger than they were four weeks ago. As for the effects on my hair, that is yet to be determined. I must say that over the last few months my hair has been growing well. Its current around armpit length when stretched out.
I hope the introduction of MSM will help my hair grow like weeds!!! Lets give it a few more months.



3)      Vitamin C: As mentioned above I take this to aid with the uptake of the MSM that I am taking. In the past I would only take these at the onset of a flu, but now I take them daily. Please be aware of the dosages of Vitamin C that you can take if you are on the pill. Vitamin C may affect the effectiveness of birth control.

As mentioned, talk to your doctor before you start stocking up on supplements. Not everything is for everyone. Do your research!!! Find out what you can. I believe the body is a temple and it is important to be aware of what we put into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment