Monday 27 May 2013

I stopped combing my hair about 3 years ago...for real!

True story! Lol! Before u think I’m probably loc’ed or have a matted up hair...lol! that is not the case. My type 4b/c natural hair is definitely not tangled.
So there is method to the madness. When I was relaxed I used a lot of combs and brushes to keep my straight hair in shape.
But when I jumped over to team natural I ditched the combs and brushes. The relationship was no longer viable. I read somewhere that every time you comb your hair you are giving yourself a little haircut. eeek! It’s true. Combing and brushing contributes to breakage, so I would keep this to a minimum as much as possible. Many relaxed ladies have also given up on the combing.
So how do I keep my hair detangled?

Detangling for me is a process I do slowly and carefully when I am in the shower. I use a cheapie conditioner(usually my Herbal essences Hello Hydration Conditioner). I apply this to my hair, which I divide into 6 sections. I used to use a wide tooth comb to help work the conditioner through and to help detangle. I have now found that I can use my fingers alone to detangle my hair.(make sure you don’t have chipped nails that can snag your hair). I then moisturise and seal, and do twists in my hair to keep it from shrinking and tangling.
The only time I use combs and brushes is when I have weaves or wigs in my hair.
I believe ditching the combs is what has helped me with length retention over the last few years. My hair is now around APL (armpit length. Will post pic soon). Of course, all naturals know about shrinkage! So when my hair is wet its about neck length. I cant wait till have have a big bad fro!

In the mean time, I have a new protective hairstyle for the next couple of weeks. I was trying to keep busy this last Saturday. The plan was to get box braids a la Beyonce, but I ended up cornrowing the front and single braids at the back. I must say it turned out okay given it was my first attempt at carrot cornrows.

I am keeping this style in for 2-2.5 weeks max.
In general I do not like cornrowing(with extensions) but I figure since I never do it, and I have been a good girl, taking good care of my hair, this means I can do this once or twice a year. My go-to protective style is the wigs. This enables me to deep condish every week. But with the cornrows I wont DC for the next two weeks. I will just co-wash twice a week( I go to gym during the week and will do this on gym days). I have a braid spray I made up with purified water, glycerine, avocado oil, olive oil and a conditioner. This will keep my hair moisturised in between washes....

No comments:

Post a Comment